By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter
TOLEDO – Carl Gasaway didn’t make it.
The 60-year-old Toledo resident was rushed by helicopter to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle yesterday morning after the fifth-wheel trailer where he was sleeping caught fire.
His daughter Chanin Holdt said her father was burned over 90 percent of his body, but he refused any drugs so he could spend his last hours aware of his surroundings, and his family.
Family members from out of state arrived to the hospital about 2:30 a.m. today and he passed away two hours later surrounded by family, she said.
“It was very peaceful,” his son-in-law Lonnie Holdt said.
Gasaway, known for the family business Prairie Ridge Tack and Feed adjacent to the home on Jackson Highway, worked for 35 years at NC Machinery.
He had retired. He was a Vietnam veteran, according to his family.
Firefighters called about 5:15 a.m. yesterday to reports of an explosion and fire at the 5400 block of Jackson Highway found the fifth-wheel trailer fully involved in flames.
Gasaway had to kick open the door to escape, according to Lewis County Fire District 2 Chief Grant Wiltbank.
Fire Investigator Ted McCarty said the force blew one of the side walls right off the trailer.
McCarty said this morning he’s still looking into the cause of the blaze, but he assumes it was related to propane.
“It’s the only product that would do something like that,” he said.
Family and friends have been gathering this afternoon at the family home.