One dead in Packwood house fire

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm
2016-1220-packwoodhousefire

The Packwood Fire Department works this morning at a residential structure fire. / Courtesy photo by Derrick Paul

Updated

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – A fire investigator is emphasizing the importance of working smoke detectors after a house fire this morning with a fatality in Packwood.

Smoke detectors save lives, Fire Investigator Derrick Paul wrote in all capital letters in a message today.

Paul was called out this morning to the single-family home on the 12900 block of U.S. Highway 12. The Packwood Fire Department responded to the approximately 5:20 a.m. call and found the residence fully engulfed in flames.

When Paul arrived, the blaze was knocked down for the most part, he said. The double-wide modular home is behind the Chevron gas station, he said.

“It’s a complete loss, there’s not a lot left,” he said.

One person was found dead inside, according to Paul.

The Lewis County Coroner’s Office was requested, and a sheriff’s detective joined the fire investigator to assist in processing the scene.

The Lewis County Sheriff’s Office says the 57-year-old man who lives there could not be accounted for and while the identity of the deceased has not been established, they believe it is him.

The cause isn’t yet known, but Paul said he had a couple of leads he was following.

No smoke detectors were found at the home, according to Paul.
•••

For background, read “News brief: Packwood home catches fire” from Tuesday December 20, 2016, here

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “One dead in Packwood house fire”

  1. Kaylee says:

    I am the niece of him and it’s a tragic loss for our whole family and yes he did have smoke detectors in his house cause I know that ofr

  2. Sherri Hamrick says:

    I am the sister of this man. And he did have smoke detectors in his house.. he was disabled do to a logging accident and couldn’t get around very well and on top of that his eyesight was all but gone..
    But I would like to thank everyone for their love and prayers to our family at this horrible time in our lives.

  3. Sherman says:

    Battery operated smoke detectors are not consistently reliable. Manufactured homes and trailers can be fully engulfed in flames in just a few minutes, but it is the toxic gases produced that cause unconsciousness immediately upon inhalation. That means if you open the bedroom door, or just stand up in the smoke, it’s lights out. Smoke detectors very in quality and function. I have one in each room of the house, on the ceiling, to give my family as much warning as possible. They are to go out the windows, and meet in a designated spot. The best heat detectors I have don’t use electricity. They have a temperature sensitive tab that melts, causing a mechanical spring to be released just like an alarm clock. Yes, they were expensive, but my insurance can replace material things. Life insurance won’t replace your life.

  4. kaye says:

    I agree with you BobbyinLC! Very sad for our citizens and the first responders! Not something any person expects when they RUSH IN!

  5. Bo Rupert says:

    Wow, this is truly tragic. Thoughts and prayers to the family. The firefighter is definitely right those smoke detectors are very important.

  6. Peabody Slim says:

    Smoke detectors and batteries make great stocking stuffers. Buying smoke alarms show how much you care. Sorry for you’re loss.

  7. Sunshinegirl says:

    Thoughts and prayers to the family of the man who died in the fire in Packwood.

  8. BobbyinLC says:

    What a horrible week for families who have lost loved ones due to exposure, gunshot and now fire. Let’s also remember the first responders and staff at the Coroner’s Office who have to deal with the grieving folks left behind right before Christmas.

    We all know it is their job but it has to take a toll on them as human beings as well.

    I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday.

Leave a Reply