News brief: Flames consume Pe Ell home, one transported

Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 10:53 am
2017.0802.peelalderfire.chance.sparks

Smoke rises in Pe Ell from house fire. / Courtesy photo by Daniel Sparks

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – A Doty-area firefighter was hospitalized for heat exhaustion and dehydration from battling a house fire in Pe Ell yesterday, a blaze that destroyed a single-story home.

Firefighters responding to the 11:55 a.m. call on the 100 block of Alder Street found the structure fully involved and attacked it defensively, according to Lewis County Fire District 11.

“It was a great team of us, Districts 13, 16, 6, AMR and DNR as well,” Fire Chief Michael Krafczyk said.

The chief said he meant not him specifically as he was at work at the time, and didn’t arrive until later during the mop up phase.

He said he understood the person who resided there was working out of town.

Crews worked to keep the flames from the tall grass from igniting two houses next door, chasing fire that burned a U-shape around one of them, he said.

Firefighters didn’t completely clear the scene until 9:30 p.m., according to Krafczyk.  It was an approximately 1,500 square-foot home with a two-car garage.

The firefighter who was transported to Providence Centralia Hospital was treated then released and is doing well, the chief said.

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “News brief: Flames consume Pe Ell home, one transported”

  1. adminsharyn says:

    Thank you Ginger for sharing that. I didn’t know. –news reporter, sharyn decker

  2. Ginger says:

    You forgot to talk about the marshel in pe ell who was first to respond ypu should make sure you add everyone

Leave a Reply